Scottish Golf is encouraging clubs across the country to register their interest in the 2019 Junior GolfSixes League. The Junior GolfSixes League, run in partnership with the Golf Foundation, is a fast, fun, new team format designed to give young beginner golfers, both boys and girls, an opportunity to play in inter-club competitions. The purpose of the league is to help retain and develop young golfers through more on course play using a simple scoring system.
How does it work?
Teams take part in a standardised format which can be easily organised and administered by the PGA professional or club volunteer. The competition would consist of:
- Minimum 4 teams per league, up to a maximum of 6
- 6-9 short holes depending on facility and number of teams
- Shotgun start where possible
- Teams of 6 playing each match (ideally a minimum 2 girls per team)
- Up to a squad of 12 where you may rotate players
- Pairs Texas Scramble using a point scoring system based on number of strokes e.g. 1 stroke = 10 points, 10 strokes = 1 point (10 stroke maximum on each hole)
- Play at a central venue or as a tour around the clubs involved – each club could host an event (for example, once a month) by adapting your course or using a par 3
Are there any costs involved?
Although there is no cost to the club, there is a participant cost for each player in the squad. This is recommended to be between £25-£35 which go towards ‘Player Packs’ (goody bag, team polo shirts, balls tees, bag tag, water bottle) as well as the resources for clubs (Competition Box) and Club Coordinators pack to help manage the squad, deliver the fixtures, and offer a great experience during the events. Clubs can subsidise the cost to participants or increase it by broadening the package e.g. additional coaching or practice sessions.
What are the benefits of taking part?
Following a number of pilot leagues in England and Scotland clubs have reported an increase in junior membership, more junior players progressing from GolfSixes into attaining a CONGU handicap and high levels of parental involvement which has resulted in more willing volunteers to support future club events.
Following the closing date Scottish Golf will contact all clubs inviting you to attend a local GolfSixes league meeting early 2019 where further details, logistics and support will be provided. We will do our very best to accommodate all clubs who register their interest and address any logistical challenges once demand is assessed.
If you have any questions in the meantime please don’t hesitate to contact Gavin Forrester, Junior Development Manager on 01334 466478 or email@example.com