As part of 2019 #VolunteersWeek, Scottish Golf is delighted to confirm new free-to-attend seminars aimed at supporting clubs with the recruitment and retention of volunteers.
Understanding what motivates people to give up their time to volunteer in golf is crucial to a successful volunteer recruitment programme. This might depend on their background and circumstances, but many people indicate that they want to give something back to the sport and/or that they love golf and its benefits.
Recruiting volunteers at your club
There are lots of different ways to promote opportunities and encourage people to volunteer at your golf club:
- Membership application form – insert a section for new members to indicate whether they would be interested in volunteering and include a tick-box exercise with a list of desired skills or areas of expertise. Then when you need someone with specific skills you can approach those who have them who indicated a preference.
- Encourage people to help out informally at some of your events initially, and build on their experience
- Write a role description – templates are available to help you describe who and what you are looking for
- Advertise opportunities – use your website, social media, e-flyers, posters and newsletters
- Word of mouth – get existing volunteers and staff to spread the word about volunteering opportunities
- Share case studies and testimonials to promote the hard work of your existing volunteers
- Events – talk about volunteering at social functions and any awards evenings
- Ask questions in your annual membership feedback survey about willingness to volunteer and any relevant skills or experience
- Keep a note of speculative enquiries, including from those who aren’t current members, remembering to tell them how long you will retain their data and how it will be used
Training on offer for affiliated clubs:
Volunteer Management for Clubs is a three-hour classroom-based workshop designed to help you recruit, develop and recognise committee members more effectively. The workshop covers key areas that are required to build a strong network of volunteers within your club, specifically committee members, as well as the abundance of helpers who sometimes do the small things that make the big difference.
This workshop will give you the opportunity to share your own good practice with others and pick up new ideas. The workshop is aimed at sports club representatives who may have a role in the recruitment, support & development of club volunteers that the club.
Scottish Golf has a two upcoming Volunteer Management for Clubs Trainingcourses that are free to attend for all affiliated clubs:
|28/08/2019||2pm-5pm||Douglas Park GC||Free||https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/volunteer-management-for-clubs-registration-62985372946|
By the end of this workshop you will have:
- Identified methods to plan for effective recruitment
- Explored best practice in successful inductions
- Identified a range of methods to support volunteers
- Identified a range of methods to recognize and reward volunteers
More courses are in the process of being planned for autumn/winter 2019/20.
If you are interested in attending a course or offering your club facilities to host a course, please contact Scottish Golf Workforce Project Manager Val Wright at firstname.lastname@example.org