Scottish Golf is excited to announce that expression of interest is now open for our 2020 GolfSixes Leagues. Run in partnership with the Golf Foundation, the leagues provides junior beginner golfers who have no handicap or 37 and above the opportunity to represent their club in team-based playing opportunity that is fast and fun.
This is an inter-club competition where local clubs work collaboratively to provide a positive playing experience through simple points scoring that will retain the children’s interest in the sport.
How does it work?
Teams take part in a standardised format which can be easily organised and administered by the PGA professional or club volunteer. The competition would consist of:
- Minimum 4 teams per league, up to a maximum of 6
- Up to 8 fixtures per league
- 6 short holes adapted depending on facility and number of teams
- Shotgun start where possible (peripheral activities if tee time start)
- Up to a squad of 12 where you may rotate players (ideally a minimum 4 girls per squad)
- Teams of 6 playing each match Pairs Texas Scramble using a point scoring system based on number of strokes taken e.g. 1 stroke = 10 points, 10 strokes = 1 point
- Clubs in the league share hosting the fixtures
Are there any costs involved?
There is no cost to your club for joining a GolfSixes league but we would recommend that there is a small contribution from each participant which can go towards their ‘player packs’ (goody bag, team polo shirts, balls tees, bag tag, water bottle) and any additional prizes, coaching or catering clubs want to provide throughout the competition. Clubs are welcome to subsidise this package or even increase depending on their offerings.
What are the benefits of taking part?
Over the last 2 years junior membership in each club participating in GolfSixes League has increased on average by 34%. Clubs have also seen an increase in revenue through coaching, food and beverage, and shop spend as a result of being part of the programme and hosting fixtures.
Are you GolfSixes League 2020 ready or working towards the following?
- Have a squad of between 8 and 12 players who would benefit and be retained in golf as a result of participating in GolfSixes League?
- Have a squad of between 8 and12 players who will have no handicap or 37 and above at the beginning of the league?
- Can identify a GolfSixes League Club Team Manager? (PGA Coach or Club Volunteer)
- GolfSixes League Team Manager to work collaboratively with local clubs?
- Golf Club has a Safeguarding policy which has been reviewed in the last 3 years?
- GolfSixes League Team Manager has completed a PVG and CWPS (Child Wellbeing and Protection in Sport course) both within 3 years? (SafeGolf accredited PGA Coach)
- Golf Club has a designated appropriately Club Welfare Officer (CWO) with safeguarding training
Following the closing date Scottish Golf will contact all clubs inviting you to attend a local GolfSixes league meeting early 2020 where further details, logistics and support will be provided.
We will do our very best to accommodate all clubs who register their interest and address any logistical challenges once demand is assessed.
If you have any questions in the meantime please don’t hesitate to contact your Regional Club Development Officer Here
We look forward to working with your club on this exciting new initiative to support junior golf.
How do you get involved?
To register your club’s interest for taking part in a local GolfSixes league please click on the link here and enter your club’s details before the closing date of Friday 6th December 2019.